The Globus platform enables developers to add robust file transfer, sharing, search, and automation capabilities to research applications and services, while leveraging advanced identity management, single sign-on, and authorization capabilities.
Your data portal, science gateway, data commons, or other web application now has access to all of the powerful capabilities provided by the Globus service. The platform exposes the same APIs we use for our own web application that serves the data management needs of over 170,000 researchers around the world.
Many applications routinely need to perform “mundane” tasks such as moving and sharing data in the course of running an advanced analysis or performing some other research task. As a developer, you need not waste precious resources building these routine—but necessary—functions. By outsourcing them to Globus you can focus all your efforts on core application logic.
Why Use the Globus Platform?
- Get new application services up and running in minutes
- Leverage the tens of thousands of active Globus endpoints at institutions around the world
- Instantly enable access for users from thousands of identity providers, including federations such as InCommon and EduGAIN.
Reduce the time you and your fellow developers spend building and maintaining research data solutions by leveraging Globus to…
- Transfer large datasets fast, securely, and reliably directly from within your application workflows.
- Enable secure, scalable search using custom metadata
- Improve collaboration among users using Globus-based access control to simplify data sharing within and beyond institutional boundaries.
The Globus platform is built on widely adopted industry standards such as OAuth and OpenID Connect for authentication and authorization, and uses trusted protocols such as GridFTP and HTTPS with RESTful APIs.